The city of St. Louis offers a number of family-friendly destinations. We knew that we wanted to spend some time visiting the Gateway Arch National Park. However, we were unsure what would do with our second day in this great city. After asking around the RV park for kid-friendly activities we learned of the City Museum St Louis. This was a memorable stop, and we highly recommend spending some time here while in St. Louis. It’s a great family destination. Of course, it can be enjoyed by adults as well as children.
City Museum Location
750 North 16th Street St. Louis, MO
Located 1.5 miles from the Gateway Arch National Park. Click here for the best directions to the museum.
City Museum Facts
- 1993 Artists Bob and Gail Cassilly acquired a 10-story 600,000 square foot former shoe company warehouse in Downtown St. Louis.
- Their vision was to transform the building into “a city within a city.”
- The Museum is a mixture of a children’s playground, and fun house made out of found and repurposed objects.
- Opened on 1997
- The roof top is open to the public, and houses a small old-fashioned Ferris wheel in addition to a school bus that extends past the edge of the building.
- Houses a 10 story spiral slide within the building
Must Do Things at City Museum St Louis
10 Story Slides
Yes you read that correctly. The City Museum houses a 10 story slide! However, be aware there is no elevator so yes you must climb the stairs all the way up! Fortunately, there is a secret door near the café on the 4th floor you can crawl through to help take out a few flights! Otherwise you will have to go through the caves to get to the slides. These spiral slides may be intimidating, but the ride is well worth it!
Enjoy the Outside Rooftop Exhibits
There are to things you will immediately notice upon entering the museum. It is filled with slides, and tunnels. Of course, these are not all contained to the inside of the museum!
The rooftop of the museum has an out door café, ball pit for the kids, a Ferris wheel!, a school bus. In addition, there are again a lot of tunnels and slides.
Fell Like A Kid Again!
The City Museum is a great place for families. In addition, they make it really easy for adults to feel like kids for a day!
Our Tips to Make Your Day Enjoyable
- Bring a few bucks in cash to park. It’s cheap & worth every penny. The parking is across the street and a quick walk
- Write your phone number on your child’s wristband in case they get lost! The Museum is large, with a lot of hidden passages. It is reasonable to believe you may get separated from your kids.
- Bring sure to bring money for food & drinks. Unfortunately, you can NOT bring food from outside.
- Wear sneakers and shoes that won’t fall off when climbing! We do not recommend wearing sandals!
The City Museum is a must-see when visiting St. Louis. Of course, don’t be fooled by the name. Yes, there are some art exhibits, but it is truly a large playground for kids and adults.
It is only a mile and a half away from the Gateway Arch National Park and can be easily done on the same day if needed.
In all of our travels, we have not found a destination as unique, exciting, and fun all that the same time.
We love to hear from our followers. Be sure to leave a comment below.
Have you ever visited the City Museum of St Louis? How was your experience? Do you have any tips for visiting this great destination?